A soft cookie recipe reminder of the classic gingerbread house – but with no construction skills required.
- 1 cup of apple butter
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of fresh, peeled, minced ginger root
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp of baking soda
- 2 tsp of baking powder
- 2 tsp of gingerbread spice (can be made with 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp allspice – approximately – change to suit your taste)
Optional Icing Ingredients
- Zest & juice of half of an orange
- 1/4 tsp tsp of fresh, peeled, minced ginger root
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups of icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix apple butter, brown sugar, oil, maple syrup, egg, fresh ginger & vanilla together in a large bowl. (Wet ingredients)
- In a separate bowl, mix flours, baking soda, baking powder & gingerbread spice together. (Dry ingredients)
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well for 3-5 minutes. If possible, use an electric mixer.
- Drop cookie dough onto a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes approximately until the cookies just begin to become golden brown.
- Cool completely before icing.
- To make icing, mix all ingredients together and drizzle over top of the cookies using a spoon or piping bag. Add more icing sugar if the icing is too runny or looks clear/murky.
Servings Per Recipe: 12 large cookies (as seen) or 18 medium cookies.
Copyright with all rights reserved to Nutrition Bites Consulting. We’d love you to share our recipes but remember to give credit where credit is due – to the author. Please re-post only with permission plus link to this original page/post.